Turn Left @ Heaven

or; how I learned to stop worrying and love the dong

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Melbourne Cup
The Melbourne Cup - the race that stops the nation....and apparently NZ too (so thats techincally two nations) was on Tuesday.
Every year millions of once-a-year gamblers make their way to the local TAB to bet on this fantastic race. Troy and I usually take part in Melbourne Cup festivities, however seeing as we are in a different country, we had to make our own fun!
We placed our bets (via Troy's mum) the night before. Troy and I aren't big gamblers - we spent roughly about $35 AUD, and we spent the day anxiously awaiting the big race.
Luckily, the race was during our lunch time, so we had settled ourselves at a computer, ready to listen to the big race.
The race - from what we could hear, as we were surrounded by SCREAMING children - sounded very exciting! Makybe seemed to spring to the front with perfect timing.
Unfortuntely for us.....we didn't back the winners.
I would like to congratulate Makybe on a brilliant win. She truely is one of the greatest horses ever. In the past two Melbourne cups, I backed Makybe to win. However, this year I underestimated her. I'm glad she won. I hope she enjoys her retirement....apparently she is going to be used as a breeding mare......SO I'm sure she will have fun!
-a

2 Comments:

  • At 10:29 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Heh heh. Just saw the photo of you two on the blog. Very nice. However....in the shrunk down, low pixel version, Alwyn's eyes look Asiatic and it looks like Troy's shacked up with some Korean babe in the dong...I have way too much time on my hands.

     
  • At 1:26 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Howdy from the States! Sounds like you had an EXCELLENT vacation on the 28th. Everland is hilarious...did they go instead of having a big party at school? That's too bad. We had so much fun with Halloween last year, but maybe you aren't big Halloween people. I'm not really, but it was super fun to see the kids dressed up and to pass out candy. AMERICAN holidays are loads of fun.

    Things are pretty normal here. I'm really missing Korea tonight, though. I think it's the weather, and I found an "asian pear" in the market yesterday. It was about 1/3 of the size of the ones you can buy on the street and triple the cost! I bought one for $.86 American, purely for sentimental value. I miss walking past the fruit trucks and buying five ENORMOUS, DELICIOUS pears for 3,000 won.

    Tonight, I also miss the dong...A LOT. I miss how my room smelled with the window open and the mid November breeze whipping through our apartment. I miss the smell of Swaton in the morning BEFORE all the sweaty kids have tropped through each room. I miss turning on the copy machine, mixing a cup of tea, and sitting at my desk assessing what needs to be done first and how much time I have to do it in. I really miss the kids, too! I miss you guys and Quang sang nim...please tell her I said hello!

    I've been working on getting my 2 year old nephew to say an yang. He said it the other day! He hasn't said it again, though...every time I ask him if he remembers how to say, "An yang!" He just cracks up laughing and gives me this HUGE smile. It's priceless!

    OK, I've used up enough of your comment space, so I'll go...I probably should have sent an email, but I was here. I hope things are well. Talk to you soon.

    Love,
    Jen

     

Post a Comment

<< Home