Turn Left @ Heaven

or; how I learned to stop worrying and love the dong

Sunday, August 28, 2005

G'day/Anyeong to all those out there in Netlandia, T here. Just dropping you all a line to let you all know whats been happening in the dong of late. First of all I would like to say farewell to some people who have recently left us to go stateside. Firstly - Jennifer and Kara who we have spent the best part of 3 months working with at Swaton.
Thanks for all your help when we were getting started, we'd have been lost without you guys - It's not going to be same without you. Also, a huge farewell to Matt and Aden. Hope you have fun in Texas, thanks for everything over our first few months you really helped us find our feet socially in Korea. I think that if it wasn't for you guys we'd still be hiding out in our apartment every night. Most importantly, you taught us how to play Texas Hold 'em - we miss poker night guys, Thursday nights will never be same. To Matt, Aden, Jennifer and Kara - I wish you all the best in whatever you choose to do in your new American life, please keep in touch and if you are ever downunder drop us a line. If we are ever stateside expect a knock on your door!

Okay, now that the sentimental goodbye's are over with, I can let you in on everything else that has been happening. First to the wacky world of ESL teaching - I have been spending my days reading such intellectually stimulating classics as Yippy-day-yippy-do, Be careful Matthew, Jolly Jumping Jelly Beans, and The Wind Blows Strong. As well as playing games such as Connect 4, Jenga, Bingo, and Uno. Of the past few weeks there have been some definate highlights of my classes. "Like what?" you say. Little Timmy learning his first word in English? Teaching a child to read? An Apple for teacher? Not quite. First of all a girl in my class drew a symbol in her notebook "Teacher, Teacher - Korean, Fuck you" Thanks for that. Another moment that made me laugh was when one of my kindergarten kids drew a lady and wrote my name "Lady- hot lady, Troy-teacher happy!" She didn't mention any names but I'm pretty sure they starting to cotton on to Alwyn and I? "Troy-teacher married? Troy-teacher Alwyn-teacher --- friends?" followed by streams of giggling. Also the younger of my two kindy classes have invented the game get the car keys from teachers pocket. They think its the best game on the planet- needless to say its not so fun for teacher. Let me tell you, theres never a dull moment in crazy world of English education. Included are some photos from last week's excursion to the Geology museum with our kindergarten classes.




Apart from working, Alwyn and I have been keeping ourselves busy with various pursuits. A few weeks ago we went with 2 fellow Songchon-dong ESL teachers - Dan and Greer - to Busan to farewell our Texan friend, Matt. Who's father by the way was good friends with Bill Hicks! very very cool. Anyways, we hung out on the beach drinking beer with thousands of Korean's until 3 in the morning. We had an awesome time. Apart from that we've just been hanging out in Daejeon trying to keep out of trouble. I have included some photos of our trip to Busan .





Keep smiling,
-T

1 Comments:

  • At 12:26 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey guys! Finally Darko got off his arse and gave me this address. I think he was just expecting me to google "Former Ghetto residents in Korea" and find you. Bloody Bosnians. Anyways, all my love to you guys, you seem to be having a GREAT time! Keep it up!

    Love and Hugs,
    Jess.

    P.S. You saw Beck. Watch me go green with Envy... Go on.. watch....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home